Monday, March 18, 2013

A Fresh Word from the WORD

Lately, I have been meditating on Ephesians 4:26.  He has had me there for a while.  It says, "'In your anger do not sin':  Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold." (NIV)

For, like, my whole life, I always thought that meant that Ken and I needed to work it out before we went to sleep!  I was sure that at all costs, this meant that we could NOT go to bed in a fight or we were somehow dishonoring God.  In fact, there were times that Ken begged me to leave him alone.  But, the idea of that verse always naggled at the back of my brain leading me to push my agenda.  

Just recently we had a knock down, drag out, doozy of a fight bit of a disagreement.  Words were said.   Looks were given.  Challenges were made.  Bathrooms were cleaned.  Breaths were huffed.  Made-up come backs were plotted.  Through hot tears I found my way to the comfort of His word.  God brought me to cat and mouse clash and combat of Saul and David.  The cliff notes of the cliff notes being: Saul is jealous of David and wants to kill him.  He attempts to do so many times.  Conversely, David also has plenty of chances to kill Saul, but he doesn't.  He has mercy on him.

That really has nothing to do with the post, but that is what I read, and for whatever reason, during that time of study, I found peace.  My body calmed and my anger abated.  When I say peace, I mean like my agenda, my anger, my me-me-me-ness just fell away and I felt merciful.  I did not want to get my way nor did I have a driving desire to work it out right now!  Rather,  I was resting in the redeeming love of Christ.  I was wrapped in blanket of peace.  I was lounging in his lavish love for me.  It was then He whispered, "Do not let the sun go down while YOU are still angry."

In that moment, years of discontentment, pride and selfishness were lain upon the altar.  My eyes and heart were opened and I realized that we were not necessarily supposed to work it all out before our head hit the pillow!  We did not need rapid release therapy for a good night's rest.  Rather, I was to work out MY anger.

Check this out.  The part of that verse that says "In your anger, do not sin" is a reference from Psalm 4:4.  It says, "Don't sin by letting anger control you.  Think about it overnight and remain silent."  Now, don't get excited, this is not advocating the silent treatment.  But, it IS warning us not to let our anger control US.  And, interesting that it says to wait, think and remain silent...overnight!  Such a different picture than my, must work this out or we will die mindset.

Ack, love it when the Holy Spirit opens my mind to new inspiration.

Father,
Thank you for giving me a fresh word in your Word.  I love that you open my heart and mind to fresh perspective.  I am thankful for your wisdom, grace and mercy.  I LOVE that your word offers comfort when anger tries to take hold.  Thanks for renewing my heart and mind.  
In Jesus Name, Amen    

No comments: